Thursday, July 5, 2012

Vet Work

At home on the range. For the past two weeks I've been extremely lucky and blessed to return to Norton, KS and intern again with the White family at Norton Animal Health Center. Norton's about 25 miles away from Colin's parent's house and home to a whopping three grocery stores!!! That's big time, for a small town in Northwestern Kansas. The people are wonderful and it's smack in the middle of cow calf country. To me, it's about as good as Kansas gets.

While staying with Aaron and Sarah White and their two boys Gideon and Isaiah, I got to see first hand what  it takes to run a mixed practice, rural vet clinic. With about half small animal and half large animal, I was able to get my hands dirty in everything from fertility testing bulls to small animal dentals!

I also had a wonderful time getting to know the rest of the Norton Animal Health Center staff. Jim, Rosemary, Amber, Cari, and Judy were so kind to me and were as welcoming as always! Everyone at the clinic took me under their wing and taught me what they knew! Every bit of it will be helpful someday when I'm out on my own as a veterinarian.



Towards the end of my stay at Norton, Gideon helped me take a few pictures of my favorite parts of the clinic. 



Big surprise, my favorite part of the clinic is the working chute! I was fortunate to spend a lot of time in the barn this year mostly testing bulls, but we saw a few calves and cows too. The covered hydraulic chute and alley ways have certainly spoiled me. 



The fancy digital x-ray and brand spankin' new CBC machine are some of my other favorite clinic toys! 


I was able to spend lots of time observing surgeries too! 

While in Norton, Colin surprised both his family and I and came down to spend the weekends with us. It was so nice to see him and because he loves his cows almost as much as me, we were able to spend lots of quality time with the girls. We hadn't seen them in a while and it seemed like they missed us just as much as we missed them.


So, if you happen to find yourself in Norton, KS and are looking for a vet, or two, be sure to visits the Whites! If you want to know a bit more about their practice, their website is a wonderful resource: http://www.nortonanimalhealthcenter.com/

 It's a hot one! Stay cool on your own home on the range.  


No comments:

Post a Comment