Sunday, April 22, 2012

Alissa's Beginning

At home on the range. My name is Alissa. I am currently a senior at Kansas State University studying Animal Sciences and Industry. Having been born and bred in the heart of the city, "at home on the range," holds a whole different meaning to me.

Prior to coming to Kansas State and meeting Colin, I'd felt a strong connection to and appreciation for agriculture. I had known for some time that I was going to attend school to become a large animal veterinarian, but I had no idea just  how quickly involved in the industry I would soon become. 

Sophomore year at Kansas State rolled around and in what seemed like the blink of an eye, I found myself seated in the passenger seat of Colin's pickup making our way to visit his family and farm for the first time. As soon as I saw the cattle in the distance I felt at home on the range. Needless to say I liked what I saw. 




One trip lead to another and as I helped Colin's family with day to day farm and ranch chores I was able to share in Colin's love for the land and gain an appreciation for the many things rural life had to offer. Having spent quite a bit of time riding along on the jump seat of the tractor asking "why this" or "why that," working futilely to master the art of the pitch fork,  and moving cows throughout the pasture I have been fortunate enough to be able to add some much needed practical agricultural "know how" to my educational ag background. 


Now, looking towards the future, we are thrilled and blessed to have the opportunity to build a herd of our own. We hope that through our weekly postings you can catch a glimpse of the life we have both come to love so much. Colin and I are excited to share our journey with you!

- Alissa 

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you are posting about agriculture from your perspective. I grew up in the city area also and am excited to read your thoughts and experiences :)

    ReplyDelete