Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Beginning


At home on the range.  My name is Colin and I am currently attending Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS, majoring in Agriculture Economics and I often wish that I could be "at home on the range."  



The idea behind "At Home on the Range" is to help those who are removed from the family farm/ranch stay connected and educated about agriculture in rural America. I believe that the knowledge and understanding of how and where America's food comes from is often forgotten or misinterpreted.  By posting pictures and stories of our own lives and experiences on our Kansas cattle operation, I hope this blog will paint a more vivid picture of agriculture.  Every producer has different practices and methods that all create a similar product while maintaining a unique lifestyle.  This is how we work, dream, and live.



I have been around farming all my life being raised on a small dry-land (non-irrigated) crop and cow/calf farm.  Since going to college I have diversified my knowledge of animal production by working for both a dairy farm and a hog farm, both being enjoyable learning experiences. After living in Manhattan I realized that I missed living on the land and after graduation I would someday like to return home to work on my family's farm.  I am currently building up the number of cows in my own cow herd to help make that dream come true, while still attending college in Manhattan.


I do enjoy raising crops such as wheat, grain sorghum, and corn; however, cattle are my true passion. I love watching calves grow from birth until they are mature animals. This love led me to enroll in multiple animal science classes at Kansas State University, which is where I met my now fiance, Alissa Berger, with whom I will maintain and update this blog about the lifestyle and workings of farming and ranching in northwest Kansas.  Each week we will post about the current happenings on the farm as well as off the farm to help others stay connected to the farm as well as learn more about agriculture.

-Colin



2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your Blog as it gives us an opportunity to know more about our relatives in Kansas. I loved the photography and the explanations about your 'Home on the Range' - it is a 'Beautiful Dream'. this is from your Australian Auntie Rita living in Queensland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Auntie Rita, I am glad that you enjoy it and hope you continue to like it. It is nice to know that we can share this with our relatives in Australia and hopefully make it feel like we can narrow the gap of the distance between the U.S. and Australia. Thanks!
    -Colin

    ReplyDelete